[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE 0192 - Non-Exhaustive Enums

Jordan Rose jordan_rose at apple.com
Wed Dec 20 13:11:17 CST 2017

Thanks for your feedback! I think you're missing the "libraries in the OS" aspect of this: if there are Swift libraries in iOS, and Apple ships a software update, some enums will get new cases. That means you can always end up in a default case if you were switching over those enums, and that's why 'switch!' has a '!' in it.

I sympathize with the "exhaustiveness diagnostics must be preserved" idea, but it simply doesn't account for package-based development. If libraries are allowed to add new cases without breaking source stability, they must not introduce new errors into clients. An app author cares about that because they want to use the latest Apple SDKs right away, even before any of their third-party library dependencies have released an update.

I do actually expect a number of third-party libraries to both mark their enums as exhaustive and add new cases in major releases (the ones that are allowed to be source-breaking). It's also a source-compatible change to mark a public enum as "exhaustive" that wasn't before, so I also expect an early flurry of bug reports when people realize this is important in Swift 5. But I think people will get the hang of it.

To be clear, I'm open to ideas in this space. It's just that both of the ideas in "Alternatives Considered" feel incomplete to me, and unfortunately we do have to do something in the near term for both imported enums and for Apple APIs (the overlays).

Jordan