[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] Revision review: SE-104: Protocol-oriented integers

Víctor Pimentel vpimentel at tuenti.com
Sat Jul 22 06:16:21 CDT 2017

Sent from my iPhone
> On 21 Jul 2017, at 23:57, Xiaodi Wu via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> It is no fun to call people out on this, but I'll do it if no one else will. If someone starts a conversation to talk about X in a public forum, anyone is free to join that conversation to talk about X or not to do so. Surely, we can all agree that it's a breach of etiquette anywhere, in any forum, to join that conversation with the purpose of talking about Y. Generally, it's good manners and not "policing" for any participant who's interested in talking or hearing about X to say to that other person, "I'm sorry, the topic at the moment is X." That doesn't mean that one person is better than the other in any way, but it's also not an invitation to start a debate as to whether the topic at the moment really is X or Y.

Public forums are helpful, but they are also hard and sometimes frustrating. I am nobody to say how anyone should talk in them, so please don't take this the wrong way.

While the intention of avoiding sidetracking is loable, maybe we could be a bit more careful with the wording. So instead of saying "this is not the place" we can say "can you open a separate thread to talk about your concerns?". Both avoid highjacking, but the second promotes further contributions.

Also, funnily enough, this review thread seems highjacked by this other topic.

--
Víctor Pimentel