[swift-evolution] Some concerns on custom operators

David Sweeris davesweeris at mac.com
Sat Nov 26 23:43:45 CST 2016

> On Nov 26, 2016, at 22:02, Dave Abrahams <dabrahams at apple.com> wrote:
>

> on Sat Nov 26 2016, David Sweeris <davesweeris-AT-mac.com> wrote:
>
>>> On Nov 26, 2016, at 17:19, Robert Widmann via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Just gotta field a version of that proposal that doesn’t “look like Haskell” :)
>> Is there something wrong with Haskell's approach to imports? I don't
>> know how they do it, so I'm unaware of any pros/cons to their
>> approach. The ":)" makes me think I'm missing something...
>>
>>> Seriously, though, would there be any objection to restoring the old
>>> behavior of just silently ignoring perfect duplicates of operator
>>> definitions across frameworks sans proposal?
>> Yeah, it could silently change how statements get evaluated, if I
>> start writing code using one library's operators, then import a 3rd
>> library which defines the same operators but with different
>> precedences.
>
> differnt precedences => not perfect duplicates, right?

That's a good question... I don't know... The compiler keeps track of functions by their "fully qualified" name, i.e. "MyLib.+(Int, Int)->Int", right?

Swift's syntax only allows us to declare precedence on a per-operator basis. Does the compiler track precedence on a per-function basis anyway, and if so, how would you specify which precedence you want at the call site? Aside from parentheses, I mean.

- Dave Sweeris