[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review #2] SE-0117: Default classes to be non-subclassable publicly

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Thu Jul 21 07:58:16 CDT 2016

> On Jul 21, 2016, at 3:13 AM, Tino Heth via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>

>> Am 21.07.2016 um 03:41 schrieb Brent Royal-Gordon via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org>:
>>
>> A class that is closed in 1.0 can be opened in 1.1; a class that is `final` in 1.0 *cannot* be opened in 1.1 (or at least it's a breaking change if it is).
> Wait a moment: Aren't "closed", "sealed" and "final" basically all the same as soon as you cross module borders? (but I guess it's just that some words are in wrong order…)

Not at all - `closed` and `sealed` are two different names proposed for the same thing but `final` is very different.  If you are using a `final` type from a library you (and the compiler) know all variables of that type reference instances of *exactly* that type.  You do not get that guarantee with `closed` / `sealed`.  In that case a variable may reference a subclass defined in the same module as the type of the variable.

The similarity is that outside the defining module you cannot subclass `final` or `closed` types.  But the rest of the semantics are quite different.