[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0121: Remove `Optional` Comparison Operators

Haravikk swift-evolution at haravikk.me
Wed Jul 13 05:00:19 CDT 2016

> On 12 Jul 2016, at 19:26, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> 	* What is your evaluation of the proposal?

Strongly in favour.

> 	* Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

Yes, though it seems like a small change it removes an ambiguity that can be easy to trip up on. Indeed it's entirely possible there are people using optional comparison without realising it, so why there may some minor breakage, I think it's worth causing.

> 	* Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Yes, now that we have the ?? operator there is no need for these comparisons as non-optional comparisons can be used instead with explicitly defined default values, eliminating any possible confusion.

> 	* How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

Quick read through, the change is pretty straightforward though.