[swift-evolution] Static Dispatch Pitfalls

L. Mihalkovic laurent.mihalkovic at gmail.com
Sat May 21 19:01:48 CDT 2016

On May 21, 2016, at 11:50 PM, Brent Royal-Gordon via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

>> Making them 'final' causes problems with retroactive modeling.
>
> Because of that issue, I had an attribute you could use to acknowledge conflicts and disable the error. But this ended up being rather complex: you needed to be able to label a member *or* an extension *or* an import which made a conflicting member and conformance visible in the same place.

Read the proposal... I have an aversion to-go coffee cups that remind people that hot coffee may burn them, and when my daughter was 4 we explained to her why knives were to be handled with care, rather than remove them all from her sight. IMHO the proposal evoques mandating training wheels rather than letting people learn naturally from their errors.