[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Reference equivalent to value-type 'enum'

Austin Zheng austinzheng at gmail.com
Thu May 5 04:22:47 CDT 2016

Thanks!

I'm sadly not very coherent at this hour, but I just wanted to make a few small notes:

- I'm neutral as to whether stored properties should be allowed in the design. The value type memory layout issues which prohibit stored properties in normal enums won't apply to 'enum classes'. However, there may be other reasons to prohibit them.

- If enum classes' cases should be allowed to define per-case methods and stored properties (as opposed to just overriding those from the base class), two modes of interaction naturally fall out of the existing semantics. The user can either pattern match against the case itself (case .Node(let left, right)), which emphasizes the shared behavior, or they can use the downcast pattern match (case let myLeaf as Graph.Leaf), which emphasizes the per-case behavior.

- The "should enum cases be distinct but related types" question has been debated occasionally on the list. I think the proposed design has a duality where reference enums provide opt-in distinct type behavior naturally through subclassing, while value enums continue behaving the way they do currently. Value type inheritance has been mentioned, but if it goes in at all it will probably resemble implicit conversions far more than 'traditional' OO inheritance. This proposal tries to incrementally extend existing class/struct semantics to produce something that (hopefully) won't surprise developers who try using it.

Austin