[swift-evolution] multi-line string literals.

Uli Kusterer kusterer at orangejuiceliberationfront.com
Tue Apr 26 20:22:27 CDT 2016

On 22 Apr 2016, at 18:59, John Holdsworth via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
> https://github.com/apple/swift/pull/2275
>
> The approach taken is as simple as possible defining multi-line strings as being
> delimited by “”” instead of “ and thereafter able to contain new line characters.

 Just ignore me if that's been covered in the archives already (there is a lot there, I'm still catching up), but is there a reason we can't just allow newlines in the existing string constants and be done with it? Since they've been invalid so far, nobody has code that contains line breaks that could be broken. At worst the code formatter would have to be told not to indent such lines, but beyond that, why are newlines in strings not permitted?

Cheers,
-- Uli Kusterer
"The Witnesses of TeachText are everywhere..."
http://stacksmith.org