[swift-evolution] Require use of override keyword to override dynamically dispatched methods defined in a protocol with a default implementation

Howard Lovatt howard.lovatt at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 20:10:30 CST 2016

Personally I would like the following rules:

1. If a method implements or overrides any method in a class, struct, or
extension, whether declared in a protocol or class, then it must be tagged
with override.
2. If a method is implemented in an extension and not declared previously
in a protocol then in should be tagged final (this is another
swift-evolution proposal already)

If both were adopted then it would be clear what was happening.

At present the compiler also struggles, if you make a minor error when
overriding a protocol method all the compiler can do is tell you that the
struct/class does not conform. It doesn't tell you where the error is,
which might be in an extension in a different file. If the methods were
tagged with override the compiler would give a better error message and
importantly direct you to the problem.

On Wednesday, 6 January 2016, Xiaodi Wu via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org

--
  -- Howard.