[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Property behaviors

Brent Royal-Gordon brent at architechies.com
Fri Dec 18 02:20:03 CST 2015

> We definitely can't have behaviors storing closures. Any closure that references `self` would then become a retain cycle.

If we could somehow enforce `unowned` capture of `self`, that wouldn’t be a problem.

> And of course for value types the closure would have captured an outdated copy of self.

Though this would be.

Perhaps the initializer closure should take `self` as a parameter, and so should any behavior method (at least as an option). So you would write `reset<Container>(inout container: Container)`, but you would call `propertyName.lazy.reset()`.

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies