[swift-evolution] Request: Ability to refer to an enum case in abstract (without its associated value)

Al Skipp al_skipp at fastmail.fm
Fri Dec 11 06:51:24 CST 2015

I don’t think this suggestion would work in practice. It’s the equivalent of trying to construct a struct value with non-optional properties, but without providing any init parameters, it would result in an invalid value. If your proposal were possible I think it would cause trouble with pattern matching enums too. In a switch statement that expects to bind to associated values, what happens when it receives an enum that should have associated values, but they are not present?