[swift-evolution] Review: SE-0007 (Remove C-style for-loops with conditions and incrementers)

Michael Mayer m.mayer6 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 04:57:36 CST 2015

1) After initially being hesitant to support this change, I now fully embrace the reasons for it and find it worthwhile.
2) The language needs trimming and more focus.  Swift, in many ways, tries to be all things to all people.  It has grown tremendously during its incubation and while it is very broad, it also has a number of redundant features which can be trimmed to reduce its surface area without reducing its power.  While I hate to lose the C-like features, like for-loops and increment operators, because of their comfortableness, I have to acknowledge that they are redundant and meaningful only to my past.  The benefits of this change warrant its implementation.
3) This proposal fits in very well with Swift’s current direction of getting smaller in smart ways which increases succinctness without losing expressiveness.
4) This feature is very familiar to anyone with a C-like language background  I hate to lose the C-like features, like for-loops and increment operators, because of their comfortableness, but I have to acknowledge that they are redundant and meaningful only to my past.
5) I thoroughly read and thought through the proposal and its implications.   I strongly endorse it.

Regards, Michael

Michael M. Mayer
Hanover, MD
m.mayer6 at gmail.com